ABOUT THE LIBRARY
The Instructional Media Center/ULS Library is housed in 3rd Floor of Our Lady of Miraculous Building. It has four sections and have three branch library which are located on the same building and in a different building inside the University. Each section/Branch houses a collection of print and non-print materials which varies to programs offered by the university. To facilitate better learning, it provide adequate and essentials facilitates such as Audio Visual Rooms, discussion room, study area, Internet Area, LIS Online Station (OPAC), as well as, leisure area where library users can do their leisure time.
The Library Staff is Head by the Director of Libraries
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF LA SALETTE LIBRARY
The University of La Salette (ULS) then La Salette College (LSC) started operation at the La Salette of Santiago High School Campus, Malvar Santiago in 1952. The initial collection of the library was 500 volumes of fiction and religion books. In the year 1970, the unprecedented increase in college enrolment made the Administration to transfer the college to its present site, Dubinan East, Santiago City. The Library was housed at the Ground floor of the Our Lady of La Salette Building (OLLSB) with 5,000 volumes as its collection. After two years the library was moved to the second (2nd) floor of the OLSSB after a strong typhoon ravaged 50 % of its holdings.
At the year 1983 as the college population continued to grow and the need for wider space, the library was relocated at the 3rd floor of the Ina ng Pag-asa Building (MMB). The opening of more courses, acquisition of more library materials, and the increase in enrolment resulted to the transfer of the library to its present site, the third (3rd) level of the Our Lady of Miraculous Medal Building (OLLMB) in the 1993. After 4 years the Graduate School Library (GSL) with 37,000 volumes of Theses and Dissertations started its operation at the 2nd floor of Ina ng Pag-asa Building.
The Museo Filipino of the University was put up with a good number of artefacts and museum objects. In the year 1999 the Graduate School Library (GSL) was transferred at the Ground floor of the Miraculous Medal Building (OLMMB) for easy access and convenience to its users. A year later, the library collections have grown from a mere 500 pieces of books to 28,000 volumes of printed materials.
At present, the ULS Library has more than 30,000 volumes of printed materials, more than a hundred titles of periodicals, a good collection of Audio-Visual resources and updated facilities to meet the needs of its clientele. Just recently, the ULS Extension Library formally opened its doors to accommodate more library patrons. The ULS Extension Library houses extensive collection of Philippine Titles. These Filipino-authored books fill the library’s shelves alongside the books for Information Technology, Criminology, and Engineering and Architecture students.
At present, The ULS Law Library formally opened its doors to accommodate the law student’s library patrons, the ULS law library houses books of laws and it is exclusive use for the law students and faculty of College of Law. It is located at 4th floor of Ina ng Pag-asa Building.
The Instructional Media Center commits itself to:
- Render professional services to all the stakeholders and the general clientele/library users.
- Enable the clientele to effectively and satisfactorily forage the library in a more efficient and time-saving library system.
- Ensure that the clientele are provided with the convenience they rightly deserve as they maximize the use of the learning resources in the library.
- Provide well-organized resources
- To encourage reading and interest in research through a conducive library ambience
- Relentlessly upgrade library materials and information resources and user friendly services responsive of the challenges, demands of the course offerings of the university, of its clientele and all its stakeholders.
- The optimum use of the technology available at the library.
- Explore emerging technologies that can provide relevant and up-to-date data information to its clientele.
- Qualify and empower all its personnel for the efficient delivery not only of the basic library services they extend but also of the values they have to exemplify as members of the ULS working force.
The Instructional Media Center extending full support to the institution’s pursuit of creating an academic community where life is fully lived, where clientele acquire life-long learning skills using efficient and dynamic learning resources.
To support the institution’s efforts to achieve excellence in intellectual, humanistic, spiritual, and cultural formation of the community it serves, the library shall:
- Provide an extensive, well organized and balanced collection that supports the academic programs of the University;
- To develop and sustain well-trained and competent library staff to promote effective use of the library; and
- Equip its users with a life-long learning of using library resources efficiently and effectively
CORE VALUES OF INSTRUCTIONAL MEDIA CENTER PERSONNEL
- Respect for Individual
- Innovation and continuous improvement
- Passion to serve the academic community
- Teaming to achieve
- Integrity and trust
ADMINISTRATION & STAFF
The Administrative is under the supervision of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, and they are the responsible for the effective management of the library : maintenance, supervision and plan. Planning, Finance, Personnel, Library Linkages and library services are directly under the administrative. Other service such as technical also falls within the responsibility of the administration.
The Library presently has a staff of seven (7):
One (1) administrator, Two (2) Professional Librarians and Four (4) support staff.
Mr. Emmanuel T. Mendoza, RL, MLIS
Director of Libraries
Ms. Vanessa B. Victorio, RL
Acquisitions and Cataloguing/Law Librarian
Mrs. Levita S. Pasion, RL
Graduate School Librarian/Extension Librarian
Mrs. Adelaida F. Ramos, MLIS
Circulation Main Library
Ms. Faima Viernes
Circulation Extension Library
Mrs. Maryan Enriquez
Circulation Law Library
Mrs. Wilma Manuel, MLIS
Circulation Main Library